Monthly report n⁰9- 2022-10
Posted October 30, 2022 by Esther Onfroy ‐ 3 min read
PiRogue tool suite (PTS) is an open-source tool suite that provides a comprehensive mobile forensic and network traffic analysis platform.
Context of the project
PiRogue Tool Suite is a reboot of PiRanhaLysis project. Today, PiRanhaLysis is used by a lot of people ranging from universities (the University of Yale as an example), activists, NGOs and gets a lot of traction. Too much traction in fact to be maintained in our spare time as we have done until now. Currently, the project is at the proof-of-concept stage. To get to wider adoption by the general public, we need to streamline the build process and smooth the interface. Our goal is to make the project accessible to anyone.
The problem: the lack of open-source means (hardware + software) to assess both privacy and security of mobile devices. Depending on HRD goals, they should want to educate, conduct emergency assessment or off-the-field investigations.
The plan: As with all the other projects we do, we are the first users of the technologies we develop and we aim to provide open-source, low-cost, well maintained, easy to use and easy to build hardware and software.
We have three functioning modes for PTS:
a kiosk mode for anyone who wants to know which servers a mobile device is communicating with
- useful for non-profit that want to know if a victim is targeted by stalkerware
- useful for educational purposes to highlight surveillance capitalism
- more generally assess if a mobile device is spied on/compromised by utilizing detection rules such as Suricata and others
an on-the-field mode
- for emergency response (active spying, device tampering, …) useful for responders in repressive environment
- conduct forensics analysis and network detection using a pre-installed set of tools
an expert mode for technical people to:
- determine the list of collected data
- assess regulatory compliance
- conduct penetration testing
- analyze malware’s behavior
- ensure reproducible analysis
- generate comprehensive reports
The PiRogue is an open hardware device based on a Raspberry Pi operating as a network router (like any ISP router) analyzing network traffic in real time.
What we have done so far
The Tool Suite
The Tool Suite is a software stack, its architecture is distributed and not cloud-depend, that means it can be deployed on a bare metal server as well as on any cloud platform supporting Docker.
We are currently working on the following features:
- case, observable and knowledge management
The following diagram presents the core entities and their relations:
What we plan to do next month
- Continue working on the foundations of the Tool Suite.
We are facing issues on the packaging of the latest version of Frida. Find more details at https://github.com/PiRogueToolSuite/pirogue-os/issues/18.